What's The Big Idea?
There must be as many recipes for Welsh Rarebit (Caws Pob in Welsh) as there are people in Wales! Everything from basic cheese on toast to the most elobarate concoctions!
Some with beer in, some with tabasco sauce, some with eggs, some without....
Whatever your preferred version (and we'd welcome your input on what the best recipe is, so please get in touch), Welsh Rarebit is a great
snack at any time of day, and the perfect half-time snack if you're watching a match.
This version claims to be an "authentic" one, but you can add to it to tailor it to your own tastes.
Here's the list of what you need:
What To Do
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon made mustard of your choice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 fl oz beer
- 8oz Cheddar cheese
- Sliced bread
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Stir over a low heat for about two minutes, making sure that the flour doesn't burn
- Stir in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and the beer. Continue stirring for about five minutes
- Gradully add the grated cheese, stirring all the time to ensure that it does not burn on the bottom of the pan
- Meanwhile slice the bread and toast one side under the grill
- Turn the bread over and spoon the cheese mixture on top of the uncooked side of the bread
- Place back under the grill until the cheese has turned a golden brown