Meg's FA Cup o' Soup
What's the big idea?
If it's the middle of winter and you're off to watch your local team play, or going down the pub with a few mates to watch a game on the big screen,
by the time you get home you're going to be frozen. Prepare a big pot of soup before you set off, and when you get back with the boys, there'll be
something warm and tasty ready for you!
The recipe makes four good bowl-fulls:
Here's the list of what you need:
What To Do
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed chillies (optional)
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin baked beans
- Heat the oil in a large pan
- Fry the garlic, onion, mixed herbs, chillies (if using) and celery for 5 minutes
- Crush the stock cube, and sprinkle on top. Stir well to mix, then add 600ml (one pint) boiling water to the pan
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and baked beans
- Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 20 minutes
- Serve with warm, crusty bread
It may not be haute cuisine, but it just hits the mark perfectly on a cold winter's day!