Azerbaijani Chicken Kebabs:
What's the big idea?
Kebabs of various sorts are really popular in Azerbaijan, usually cooked on an open fire, barbecue, or traditional clay oven.
This is a very simple recipe - some are more complex - and is popular at barbecues, parties and special events as an altrnative to lamb kebabs.
Here's the list of what you need:
- 500g chicken
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch of Sumac*
* Sumac is a middle eastern spice, made from the dried and ground berries of the sumac bush. It has a tangy, citrus flavour.
What To Do
- Cut the chicken into 1 - 1½ inch cubes
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in a bowl with rings of raw onion. Add the lemon juice and mix well
- Cover and leave to marinade for an hour or so before cooking
- Thread the marinaded chicken pieces onto long thin metal skewers and cook over hot coals, barbecue, or under a grill
- As soon as they are cooked, serve the chicken pieces sprinkled with the chopped herbs and sumac