Albanian Spinach Pie:
What's the big idea?
Byrek me spinaq
Savoury pies made with filo pastry seem to be extremely popular in Albania, and of all the variations the one with spinach and feta cheese is the most popular of all.
Traditionally it would be cooked in a round baking tin, but if you only have a square one it'll still taste the same!
This dish is very similar to a Bosnian Spinach Pie recipe, which shouldn't really be surprising, given the proximity of the two countries.
Here's the list of what you need:
What To Do
- 200 ml olive oil
- 30 sheets of filo pastry
- 675 g spinach, chopped
- 125 g feta cheese, diced
- 50 g spring onions, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place the spinach in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and mix well
- Add the feta cheese, spring onions, eggs and 2 tablespoons of oil. Mix well
- Brush the bottom of a medium baking tin (ideally a round one) with oil, and cover with 2 sheets of filo
- Brush with oil, add 2 more sheets, brush with oil, and so on until half the pastry sheets have been used
- Spread the spinach mixture over the pastry base
- Top with the remaining filo pastry, layering as before
- Brush the top with oil, and roll the edges of the pastry over and make sure they seal well with the bottom layers
- Bake at 350F/180C for about 45 minutes until golden brown
- Serve hot
© Copyright 2012 - Sporting Parties.com