Senegalese Sweet Potato, Rice & Bean Stew
What's The Big Idea?
This is a great and hearty vegetarian alternative to serving Ceebu Jen.
Using tinned beans is much quicker than using dried ones, and doesn't seem to alter the flavour.
If you're not keen on onion and garlic, this may not be the recipe for you!
Here's the list of what you need:
What To Do
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 large onions, chopped
- 10 cloves of garlic, finely chopped (reduce if you prefer!)
- 6 tablespoons tomato purée
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1 vegetable stock cube (to be really authentic, a Maggi vegetable stock cube
- Plenty of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8oz rice
- 2 x 400g tins black-eyed peas or other beans
- Heat the oil in a large flame-proof casserole, and fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes
- Add the tomato purée - stir well
- Add plenty of water - about 4 pints - and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat and add the carrots, sweet potato and vegetable stock cube
- Simmer until the vegetables are almost cooked. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper
- Add the rice and beans. Simmer for 10 minutes covered, then 10 minutes uncovered, stirring as little as possible
- Only add more water if necessary. When the rice is cooked, drain off any excess liquid and serve immediately
© Copyright 2012 - Sporting Parties.com