What's the big idea?
"Sundowners" - Barbecued Chicken Wings
I must admit, I was somewhat amused by the list of ingredients when I first found this recipe, but don't let them put you off - the combination results in a classic
sticky, tangy-sweet barbecue coating. The "correct" way to cook these is to stretch the wings out and thread a skewer through along the length of the wing.
However, this can be tricky to do, and doesn't add anything to the flavour, so it's up to you if you want to go to the trouble or not.
Remember to allow time for marination.
Serve with South African Yellow Rice.
Here's the list of what you need:
What To Do
- 20-25 chicken wings
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons smooth apricot jam
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons clear honey
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100ml chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Place all the ingredients except for the chicken wings in a large saucepan
- Warm through, stirring well to create a smooth mixture
- Place the chicken wings in a large non-metallic bowl (or several smaller ones) and pour over the marinade
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours
- Remove the chicken wings from the fridge, thread onto skewers if using (see note, above)
- Cook over a hot barbecue, turning regularly and basting with remaining marinade, until cooked through