What's the big idea?
Melokhia is a leafy green vegetable that has been cultivated in Egypt for thousands of years. It is not dissimilar to spinach, and can be found in specialist
green grocers if you are willing to spend time searching it out. If not, do as I have done here and cheat, substituting spinach instead. It may not be quite as authentic, but it still tastes great!
Here's the list of what you need:
What To Do
- ¾ pint chicken stock
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 6 green cardamoms
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1½lbs chopped fresh spinach
- Bring the chicken stock to the boil in a large saucepan
- Add the garlic, onions, bay leaves, cardamoms, ground coriander and chopped tomatoes
- Simmer gently for 1 hour
- Add the spinach. Stir well and cook until the spinach is to your liking
- Serve as a side dish
- Not very authentic tip: I like to add 2oz cashew nuts just before serving - makes for a more interesting texture!
© Copyright 2012 - Sporting Parties.com