Cameroon Beef Kebabs:
What's the big idea?
Brochettes à la Camerounaise
Simple marinated beef, cooked on skewers over an open fire. If the open fire thing doesn't work for you, a barbecue or grill will work just as well.
Serve as a starter with a salad garnish, or as part of a barbecue/buffet style meal. Remember to allow time for marination.
Here's the list of what you need:
What To Do
- 2lbs pounds of stewing beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into chunks, plus a further one, finely chopped
- 2 green peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ½ x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- ½-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, depending on your taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large non-metallic bowl, mix together the beef, finely chopped onion, the oil, the vinegar, the chopped tomatoes, garlic, ginger, cayenne pepper and salt
- Cover and refrigerate for at least three hours, longer if possible
- Heat the barbecue or grill. Thread the beef, onion chunks and green pepper onto skewers
- Cook thoroughly, turning regularly and basting with the remaining marinade